The father of modern medicine, Hippocrates, had the belief that all diseases start in the gut. He probably was right!
Leaky gut, also known as intestinal permeability, is a digestive condition in which bacteria and toxins are able to “leak” through the walls of the intestines. This causes inflammation and other problems that expand all over the body.
If you suffer from 2 or more symptoms below, to name a few, you could be suffering from leaky gut.
1. Gastric ulcers
2. Constant fatigue
3. Thyroid disorders
4. Autoimmune disease
5. Excess gas or bloating
7. IBS, Crohn’s, or Ulcerative Colitis
9. Respiratory infections
10. Allergies – due to a genetic sensitivity
The truth is, in today’s world full of chronic stress, toxins, pesticides, and processed food, it is very likely that we our poisoning our bodies daily. If left untreated, leaky gut can find its way into the bloodstream and carry these “poisons” around our body to other areas. This can set off a devastating chain reaction, especially since our immune system is housed in the gut.
So, what are some tips to help us combat leaky gut you ask?
1. Try removing trigger foods or inflammatory foods like dairy, sugar, processed foods, and gluten.
2. Managing stress with self-help techniques and light exercise has been useful.
3. Avoiding toxic overload- drugs, mediations, mercury, or antibiotics.
4. Filter tap water.
5. Probiotics- to balance good and bad bacteria in the gut.
6. Natural supplements and vitamins- if you are deficient.